Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Passover Fudge


Passover is a time for flourless desserts, so I thought it would be a good time for another fudge attempt. I had a huge block of Callebaut bittersweet chocolate, so I didn't want to use one of the many recipes that just calls for 3-4oz of chocolate. And even though nobody I know seriously avoids eating anything with corn syrup on Passover, I thought it would be best to avoid using it if possible so that the fudge really would be kosher for Passover. I fixed on this recipe for bittersweet chocolate and walnut fudge from Bon Appetit.


At the time, my candy thermometer was working. The recipe calls for you to bring condensed milk and sugar to softball stage and then to pour the hot mixture onto the chocolate and butter. A couple changes to the recipe: I threw some cocoa powder in to replace the espresso, and I used an 8x8 square pan instead of a 9x13. I didn't want to serve skinny little squares. I don't think the pan size affected the consistency at all. In fact, if the recipe had been spread thin, it might have made for a harder, chewier product.




The result had a delicious, fudgy flavor, but the consistency was more like the inside of a truffle than like Murdick's. Too much chocolate, perhaps? Is corn syrup actually the secret ingredient? I intend to find out. Though it wasn't the platonic fudge, this recipe was a big hit with family and friends. It was much better than the last chocolate fudge recipe I tried, which basically just called for some chocolate and a can of sweetened, condensed milk. It makes a lot of fudge, so I was even able to give packages away as thank you gifts to my cat sitters.

No comments: